CU Gavel Club is an affiliate of Toastmasters International, headquartered in Santa Margarita, California, USA, a leading non-profit educational club devoted to making effective oral communication a world-wide reality.
The program used by the Club is designed by Toastmasters International to help you develop public speaking skills. You will learn and practice in a friendly, non-threatening environment, not in a classroom. There are no instructors or professors, and you won’t be “graded” on your work or progress. You will be learning these speaking skills with other people who are there for the same reason you are. You will be guided in your learning by people just like you, who once feared public speaking skills. Together you will help one another grow and develop as speakers. And best of all, you will have fun as you learn.
1. To develop self-confidence that will enable you to handle prepared and unprepared speaking situations with ease
2. To practice active listening skills and critical thinking
3. To learn how to organize and present ideas logically and convincingly
4. To learn how to empower your talk with the use of voice and body language.
5. To learn the protocols and format of a formal meeting